오늘 본 상품

없음

고객센터

SAM-O GENERAL FOODS대량구매문의

Vegan In Seoul (Food + Travel Notes)

페이지 정보

작성자 Vito (195.♡.246.164) 연락처 댓글 0건 조회 152회 작성일 23-11-20 05:37

본문

Toward the top of last year I embarked on a visit to South Korea, the travel notes where I preserved my insides and sanity with soju and makgeolli for 2 weeks. I began my journey within the capital of Seoul, exploring supermarkets, museums, and (after all) vegan eating places.

The booze

Coffee Makgeolli ("Makgellicano") within the park and a supermarket basket of Makgeolli, tofu, and grape beer

For the uninitiated, soju and makgeolli are each rice based mostly alcoholic drinks and they're each extraordinary with meals. Makgeolli is a mildly sweet, viscous, and milky old-fashioned booze with a slight fizz about it. There are lots of varieties, from craft brews to artificial fruit flavours. Alcohol content sometimes ranges between 6-9%.

With a lack of brewing legal guidelines, the alcohol content material of Soju will be as low as 16% and skyrocket to over 50%. Should one wish to supplement their alcohol with extra alcohol, a drink known as somac (beer + soju) isn't unusual. This drink was made for me by the managers of my hostel, one of whom liked Shakespeare ("to be or not to be, it would not matter"), craved advice on how one can romance an English lady in a bar, and loved singing each the Titanic theme song and The Little Mermaid classic "Under the Sea." On repeat.

Other starchy vegetables and grains, reminiscent of barley, potatoes, and tapioca, may also be used to make soju.

Vegan Food in Seoul

Why cannot I ever keep these items short? Okay, enjoy the remainder of this novel.

Balwoo Gongyang

Operated by the Korean Buddhist Cultural Foundation, Balwoo Gongyang is a Michelin starred (no matter that means) vegan temple meals restaurant in Seoul. There are five set menus to select from, and they modify with each season. If you're going for dinner, make reservations. I went for lunch and there was no downside scoring a desk.

My lunch menu at Balwoo Gongyang

Exact menu in italics. Any notes of mine are in roman.

Suljuksim (Lip moisturiser)

Muhwagwa (Fig preserved in omija berry extract). Earthy fig in candy and acidic broth that tasted of sweet forest fruits with a hint of cinnamon. This lip moisturiser was excellent but I nonetheless wanted chapstick to moisturise my lips.

Juksang (Porridge)

Danhobakjuk & Seasonal mulkimchi (Sweet pumpkin soup & Seasonal watery kimchi).

Sangmi (Entree One)

Bburichaeso geojamuchim (Heat autumn vegetables seasoned with asian pear and mustard sauce). Marlin dotorimuk bokeum (Stir-fried dried acorn jelly with inexperienced pepper). The simple soy sauce dressing leaves the give attention to the texture of this Korean speciality, a chewy but not bouncy dish made with acorn starch. Neutari beoseot yeongeun muchim (Mixed oyster mushroom and lotus root with gochujang sauce). The homemade gochujang showcases the perfumed fruitiness representative of Korean chilies, and has a nice aftertaste reminiscent of the smell of a contemporary ebook. Heavenly.

Dammi (Entree Two)

Beoseot gangjeong (Deep-fried assorted mushrooms seasoned with gochujang sauce). This gochujang is so good it even makes the bell peppers tolerable. Wooung altaree jeolim (Pickled burdock and radish with sweet and bitter soy sauce). Ma doenjang chamkkae muchim (Raw Korean yam dressed with soy bean paste and sesame seeds sauce). All I may consider was if someone were to invent savoury cherry bubble gum, this could be their inspiration. And since I've the palate of a ten year outdated the flavour was dreamy plus plus. Nokdu jeon (Mungbean pancake). Gaeul chaeso jeon (Autumn vegetable pancake). Autumnal earthiness and campfire vibes.

Seongso (Noodle)

Pyogobeoseot-naengmyeon (Cold noodle with spicy shiitake mushroom & pear sauce). Dubu-gui (Grilled tofu). With pickled ash pepper. Sachal mandu (Temple model vegetarian dumpling). The solution to (momentarily, at the least) lifting depression as a result of onset of winter.

Youmi (Medicinal Meal)

Yeonipbap (Steamed sticky rice with ginkgo nuts and pine nuts wrapped in lotus leaf). Doenjang-jigae (Soybean paste stew). Dugaji namul muchim (2 kinds of seasoned autumn greens). Citrus peel and nuttiness. Dugaji sachal kimchi (2 kinds of temple kimchi). One of those was made with perilla leaf and it is acquired so many layers to the flavour, from mustard and pepper to anise and petrol. It's a bit like if Alsace had a signature kimchi. Hangaji Jangajji (One form of fermented pickles).

Ibgasim (Dessert)

Gyeji-cha (Cinnamon tea). Doraji jeonggwa (Balloon flower root preserved in grain syrup). Bittersweet with a cooling sensation. Light and easy after a large meal.

Incidentally, throughout the street from Balwoo Gongyang is Jogyesa Temple, the place I found probably the most peculiarly delightful backyard of flowers arranged in the shapes of non human animals (pigs, tigers, etc...) and manicured fingers.

Maji Restaurant

Another Buddhist temple meals joint. A lovely nun saved me from going with no meal one night once i turned up after the kitchen had closed, by composing a comforting bibimbap set. The food is easy in a cosy environment round a courtyard. The fish tank is an odd display in a vegan restaurant.

Vegan Bibimbap from Maji Restaurant in Seoul

Cook and Book

Located in Hapjeong, this lovely neighbourhood vegan cafe serves sizzling drinks, cakes, and meals. Cook and Book is a bit off the overwhelmed track, but it is worth a go to just for the vegan omurice. Typically comprised of fried rice blanketed with an omelette that's topped with ketchup, there are countless interpretations impressed by this Japanese comfort classic.

The rendition at Cook and Book is wrapped in a turmeric and herb faux omelette in a sea of a sauce that resembles of a fusion of somebody's Nonna's tomato sauce and a mild Japanese curry. The entire lot is topped with microgreens and blended sprouts, and served with a few roasted bits, including one every of a potato, tomato, brussels sprout, and button mushroom.

Vege Green

A pleasant spot with little or no English spoken, this doesn't mean the employees will not exit of their approach to assist clarify what the buffet has to supply. There's a variety of meals to try, from tempura vegetables (the kabocha squash is especially good) and stir fries to kimbap (Korean sushi) and noodles. The naengmyeon, a dish of iced broth with cold noodles, is particularly worth a point out. There are numerous variations of naengmyeon and this one featured an acidic, vinegary, pink broth on candy potato noodles topped with a mustard sauce, cucumber, water kimchi, and sesame seeds.

Yummyyomil

This is a vegan bakery with an added burger menu. I stopped in for a peek and ended up ordering a burger as I hadn't eaten in at the least an hour. Also consumed: a most delicate soy cream bun full of what I wish all Bavarian cream doughnuts would take onboard. Yummyyomil is a good spot for a coffee and cake, or to seize some pastries to take on a picnic.

Ose Gye Hyang

Of the three meals I ate right here, the biji (okara) stew set was my favourite, and inspired me to post a recipe for kongbiji jjigae. The units on the restaurant include the main plus rice and banchan (small sides). Worth noting is the lack of garlic in temple delicacies, which makes a less pungent kimchi than I'm used to. The baechu-kimchi (the commonest and well-known of kimchis, using Chinese/napa cabbage) makes up for the absence of garlic with a strong horseradish and/or mustard ingredient. Other banchan included seitan pieces in gochujang, sesame greens, sukju namul (blanched bean sprouts), and gamja jorim (potato cooked in soy sauce, solely this additionally had tofu).

Biji, wild sesame soup, and sundubu jjigae units at Ose Gye Hyang in Seoul

The banchan modified barely every time I visited, with many repeats but a couple of new plates each time. With the sundubu jjigae (tofu stew) set came a sticky, sweet, and savoury lotus and mushroom stem dish. Another came with soy braised mock beef. Some different types of kimchi have been additionally served.

See and Do

Seoul is a big city, stuffed with parks, museums, vibrant metropolis life, and walks. Here are some of my memories.

Kimchi Museum

Yes, a complete museum devoted to what is probably Korea's most famous culinary export: kimchi. Spread over a number of floors, this homage to fermented vegetables contains demonstrations, directions, videos, and shows. There's even a chilly room filled with kimchi specimens. Should you love food anthropology and tradition, it is a should visit museum.

War Memorial of Korea

Do you have to want to encounter foreign warfare fanatics bragging about their nationalism patriotism, head to the War Memorial of Korea. Sarcasm aside, that is greater than a memorial. It's an enormous museum filled with warfare historical past, artwork, and narratives that is sort of worth a visit.

The JSA and/or DMZ tour

I booked my tour with Cosmojin tour firm. You get to spend a day being bused around to all types of oddities, depending on which type tour you guide. I remorse not purchasing a DMZ car air freshener that somebody pressed ship on an order to actually have made. The day long tours include lunch and mine had a vegan possibility (bibimbap - you just have to ask them to not include egg). The kimchi is just not vegan, so skip it. Also keep away from the soup, which may be made with anchovy stock.

War Memorial of Korea, DMZ car air freshener, Korean art, War and Women's Human Rights Museum

The War and Women's Human Rights Museum

Another absolute should, this small museum options the history of Korean enslaved girls sex staff by the Japanese throughout occupation. Bring tissues.

Seoul Selection Bookshop

Run by an ex-journalist who grew uninterested in foreign residents' ignorance of Korean culture regardless of residing in Seoul, this bookstore options an all English choice of books in regards to the Koreas. You'll be able to watch an extremely awkward video of me being interviewed by the owner right here.

More Food and Travel

Dining and recipe writing without footage

Vegan in Busan, South Korea

Hat Yai Vegetarian Festival 2018 เทศกาลกินเจหาดใหญ่

Little Good Things Vegan Cafe in Mae Hong Son

Reader Interactions

I reserve the appropriate to improve any malicious and trollish comments left beneath. Please don't comment about nonvegan merchandise or activities.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

고객센터

054-834-1900

평일 09:00 - 18:00(점심 12:00-13:00)
토, 일요일 및 공휴일 휴무

입금계좌안내

농협은행301-0207-3209-71

예금주명 : 삼오종합식품(주)

상호 : 삼오종합식품(주) 대표 : 이정순 주소 : 경상북도 의성군 금성면 군위금성로 1196 전화 : 054-834-1900 팩스 : 054-833-1202 P·H : 010-5408-2934
사업자등록번호 : 508-81-34487 통신판매업 신고번호 : 제 2020-경북,의성-053 호 E-mail : sam5foods@hanmail.net 개인정보보호책임자 : 이정순 호스팅업체 : 다오스웹
Copyright © 2020 삼오종합식품(주). All Rights Reserved.  열쇠모양 아이콘
  • 공정거래위원회
    표준약관준수
  • 현금영수증 발행
  • 구매안전서비스